Monday, March 23, 2009

Sixth Grade Writing Portfolio

Hi all!

I'm thinking and planning how my sixth grade students will be detailing and enriching their writing for their writing portfolios this year. This is the first year I have grouped students for writing in a couple of different ways (developmentally, and with a mix of levels). The idea is to help students feel teacher support as they work at teasing out their thoughts on paper - much like, as I tell them, brushing out your dog's fur after a much needed bath!

Many students have difficulty maintaining motivation and focus (often those with low skills - but, not always) when left on their own to formulate, go with an idea, or revise one which has already been started. It is important to know that my students have multiple opportunities to start writing, keep it in their writing folder, and choose whether or not to take it to the next level. Some pieces may not ever come to fruition. Writing takes work, especially different types of writing - not just writing stories.

So, my journey this month will be to organize a more structured focus (when students are at different places in their writing) during their small group instruction part of the day. In the past, I have allowed them time to write silently at my reading table as I helped a student revise and edit - they appreciated the leadership. Though, I feel they can benefit from short mini-lessons during this time that is interactive.

My original goal was to increase student writing production through small group work. Now, I want to take it a step further with specific standards to address and investigate what a small group does and how they do it.

Thank you for taking your time reading my posting! Suggestions and questions are valued!

7 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of having a small group of students writing at the back table, while you are conferencing. Students not directly involved with the targeted mini-lesson would still benefit from the instruction you are giving the "focus student." This would especially work if the back table were optional, since some may prefer to write in a quieter environment. Great idea... and very efficient!
    Way to go P-Cook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.k.... so I messed up... Alicia didn't write that post... I did (Torrey)... we share a gmail account, and I guess I was logged in as us. Oops! And now I can't figure out how to fix it!
    Sorry!
    TORREY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny...I was thinking...cool, Alicia is back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment as it gave me more "brain food" to work with!

    Smiles,
    Prudence

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment as it gave me more "brain food"!!

    Smiles,
    Prudence

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I post the same thing twice --- wow...need more brain food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Prudence, Writing with 6th graders seems soooo overwhelming to me, because they can write so much! Have you seen those post it notes on writingfix.com where they can rate themselves or one another based on specific questions? I loved the idea, because instead of scoring, they must rate their writing 1-5. Then, their lowest rating tells them what they should focus their editing on.
    I truly admire upper grade writing teachers---good for you for sticking with it in spite of our limited time in the day!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete