Monday, March 2, 2009

Lori Bell

Hi Friends,
When my 2nd grade students respond to nonfiction text in a expository form, I like to make sure that they are writing newly acquired information. Using my file folder schema allows my students to think about what they already know or think they know about a topic. They write post it notes in regards to what they think they know. As we procede in our learning, they discover that some of their facts are correct, and others need adjustments. They are constantly learning new information to add to their "file folders" of knowledge. Any new information that they learn allows them to build upon their schema and gives them a newfound knowledge base when it comes to writing. In the beginning of the year, I allow them to use any of the post-it notes that are in their folder. Many kids are able to add details to their knowledge in which they can improve their final drafts. However, towards the middle-end of the year, I have them color code their post it notes in their files. Any original post-it notes are not allowed to be used in their writing. I have also learned the value of newly acquired vocabulary. If I throw a few words for them to race and hunt for as a class, we are increasing our schema and knowledge. Using vocabulary...as Jenn has proven in her research...tremendously helps students improve their writing. Many of my students are writing great informative papers based on file folder schema. But guess what? I just took a writing class based on writingfix.com lessons. I found a great lesson that will allow my students to use their factual knowledge about a topic, and turn it into a creative writing experience, using Jan Brett's "Daisy" book...(why can't I remember the title???) Anyway, I can't wait to see what happens. We'll be writing our stories this week based on our schema and newly acquired information about the rainforest. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lori--
    Thanks for the great description of your project. The file folder schema is such a great way to scaffold writing instruction... different students could be at different points in using their post-its, especially if you are now color-coding them.

    Here is a question, do your students use their file folder schema for a constructed response question-type question? When they do their writing (with their folders), is it "open" (like, "Write about the rain forest") or do you ask a specific question and then have them respond using their folders? Let me know if I'm not making sense (as I'm sure that I'm not!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're such a great writer, no wonder your kids are learning so much! I am anxious to see how your creative writing lesson on "Daisy Comes Home!" went. Love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,
    As I'm reading your message and visualizing the post-it notes that your kids are creating, I'm reaching for connections in how my sixth grade students can benefit from this activity. I think a file folder system with an option for a graphic organizer might help students categorize new information...thank you for helping me think!
    Prudence

    ReplyDelete